One of the questions I get a lot when people ask me about my running is whether or not I listen to music. And the answer is always an emphatic “YES!”. I am a huge music lover and there’s nothing better than finding songs that help motivate and push you during a run. I understand some people have an aversion to depending on music. Music should never take over–I think it should just be an added source of entertainment.
I rotate through songs quite often and find new ones to run to all the time, but this year there have been a consistent list of songs that always ‘pick me up’. I’ve included a list here with their links on Spotify so that you can listen to them right away (and if you haven’t downloaded Spotify yet and would like an invite, please let me know.)
- List of Demands (Reparations) by Saul Williams – (I forgot all about this song until the day before the marathon. I added it to my list and it started playing at Mile 22. Perfection.)
- Daydreaming by Lupe Fiasco feat Jill Scott
- Moar Ghosts ‘n’ Stuff by Deadmau5
- Everlasting Light by Black Keys
- Firework by Katy Perry
- Do It Again (Edit) by Chemical Brothers
- Devil’s Eyes by Buck 65
- Think Twice by Eve 6- This song matches perfectly with my cadence. Suggestion: find one that matches yours and always included it on a race playlist.
- Big Dancin by Bounce Camp
- Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga
- Whoo! Alright Yeah …Uh Huh by The Rapture
- The Reeling Calvin Harris Remix by Passion Pit
- No Pun Intended by The Hives
- Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap
- Power feat Dwele by Kanye West
- Undisclosed Desires by Muse
- Check it Out feat will.i.am by Nicki Minaj
- No You Girls (Foamo Remix) by Franz Ferdinand
- Anyway by Armand van Helden and A-Track
- Molly’s Chambers by Kings of Leon
- Ambling Alp by Yeasayer *New obsession!
- Anna Molly by Incubus
- Speaking in Tongues by Eagles of Death Metal
- Way Too Much by Chromeo
- On to the Next One by Jay-Z and Swizz-Beatz
Looking back on this list, I realize it is completely random. Enjoy!
Do you listen to music when you run? What’s your ‘go to’ running song lately?